We've built a comprehensive guide to help you learn JS development online, whether you're just getting started as a web developer or you want to explore more advanced topics such as using the newest frameworks or even building your own! This Learning Guide will help you:
- Get started coding for the web with jQuery.
- Build websites and apps using front-end frameworks such as React, Angular, and Vue.
- Develop cross-platform mobile apps with Ionic and React Native.
- High-Level. When a programming language is high-level, you can code it without needing to know details about the host computer. You don't have to manage memory, you don't have to know what type of processor is running, and you don't have to deal with things like pointers (such as in languages like C or Assembly).
You should also check out our JS courses specifically aimed at web designers.
- UI DesignEssential JS Libraries for UI (User Interfaces)Craig Campbell
As described by the jQuery website:
Learn more about jQuery and how it's used in our tutorial.
- Web DevelopmentHow to Become a Web Developer: jQuery and BootstrapJeremy McPeak
- jQueryQuick jQuery Projects for Web DesignersCraig Campbell
3. Front-End Frameworks
You can also find out which front-end framework you should learn by taking our quiz!
Get Started in the Front-End
- ReactModern Web Apps With React and ReduxAndrew Burgess
- Angular 2+Modern Web Apps With AngularAndrew Burgess
- Vue.jsGet Started With VueLawrence Turton
- EmberJSBuild an Ambitious App With Ember 2Andrew Burgess
- MeteorGet Started With MeteorAndrew Burgess
4. Back-End Frameworks
- ExpressGet Started With Node.js ExpressJeremy McPeak
More Back-End Resources
WebSockets are another great full-stack tool. They enable fast asynchronous communication between the browser and server.
GraphQL is designed to work with data represented by a graph, and it has a powerful query syntax for traversing, retrieving, and mutating data. Learn how to build a back-end GraphQL API in our course.
- ExpressGetting Started with ExpressAndrew Burgess
- GraphQLBuild APIs With GraphQLMarkus Mühlberger
- GraphQLCode a Front-End App With GraphQL and ReactMarkus Mühlberger
- APIsRethinking APIs With FalcorDerek Jensen
5. Front-End Libraries
- Google MapsCustom Interactive Maps With the Google Maps APIDavid East
- Google APIsHow to Use the Google Calendar APIReginald Dawson
6. Cross-Platform Mobile
Cross-platform mobile development has the advantage of letting you creating mobile apps that feature a polished user experience similar to a native app, while allowing you to share the same code across multiple platforms.
The most popular cross-platform frameworks tend to be those built on successful front-end frameworks such as Angular and React. Make your mobile development more efficient and learn cross-platform mobile development with our courses.
The Ionic framework is one of the most popular projects on GitHub. By letting web developers use their existing skills to make apps for mobile devices, Ionic has enabled a whole generation of apps. One of the reasons for Ionic's success is that it builds on the popular Angular web framework.
- IonicGet Started With Ionic 2Reginald Dawson
- Mobile AppMobile Apps With Ionic and FirebaseReginald Dawson
You can also check out our series of Coffee Break Courses on Ionic.
- React NativeGet Started With React NativeMarkus Mühlberger
- React NativeBuild a Social App With React NativeMarkus Mühlberger
The Cordova platform is a cross-platform framework for building apps. Instead of building an app with native languages like Java or Objective-C, you can build it with familiar web technologies and bundle it in a native container for your target platform. Cordova allows you to build apps for Android and iOS, as well as Amazon Fire, BlackBerry, Firefox, and Ubuntu.
Despite using web technologies, Cordova has robust support for using the features and facilities of a mobile environment. Learn Cordova in this course by building a simple app.
- Cross-Platform MobileBuilding an App With CordovaReginald Dawson
- CordovaPublish an App With CordovaReginald Dawson
7. Go Further With JS
- WebpackInstant Webpack 2Dan Wellman
- Build ToolsEssential Gulp TasksDan Wellman
Practical projects are a great way to learn a new concept or technology. In these courses, you'll get to sharpen your skills by putting them to work by building useful web apps.
- Vue.jsCode a Quiz App With Vue.jsDerek Jensen
- ReactFive Practical Examples to Learn ReactJeremy McPeak
- ReactReact Deep Dive: Build a React App With WebpackPavan Podila