As a web developer, you can broaden your potential client base and add value for existing clients by listing 'Wordpress' as an area of expertise. Of course, unless you want to bluff your way through jobs, you'd better have the skill to back-up that claim. This collection will help.
1. Unraveling the Secrets of the comments.php File
Nettuts+ author Gilles Maes has written an in-depth overview of the comments.php file and how to make the most of the template.
2. How to Become a Wordpress Developer
3. Multiple Wordpress Installations Using a Single Database
Streamline your Wordpress set-up by installing multiple instances of Wordpress on the same database.
4. How to Create a Wordpress Theme from Scratch
Nettuts+ author Sam Parkinson gives a thorough overview of how to make your own custom theme from scratch, complete with source code.
5. So You Want to Create Wordpress Themes, Huh?
A lengthy and thorough series of tutorials covering nearly every aspect of Wordpress theme development. A must-read for beginners.
6. WordPress for Designers: Video Series
Drew Douglass will teach us, using easy to understand screencasts, exactly how to design for WordPress.
7. Wordpress Theme Hacks
A collection of simple Wordpress hacks that you'll find yourself reusing all the time when working with themes.
8. Designing for Wordpress Screencast
9. Turning a Web Template Into a Wordpress Theme
Instead of using one of the many standard Wordpress themes, you could convert a web template into a Wordpress theme with this video tutorial.
10. Wordpress CSS Guides
A slightly-dated but still useful guide on how to alter the CSS on default themes to create your own personalized theme.
11. How to Create a Wordpress Theme in 5 Minutes
12. Mastering Wordpress Theme Hacks and Techniques
13. Blog Posts in Different Columns
If you're wanting a little more advanced look and feel to your blog, try setting the posts to display in different columns.
14. Adding Tabs to Your Theme's Sidebar
15. Category Styling
This tutorial shows how to add messages in the theme for posts in a certain category using CSS.
16. Multiple Page Layouts in a Single Template
If you're looking for a more diversified template for sub-pages in a template, check out this quick tutorial for mutiple page layouts in a single template.
17. Rounded Corner Tab Menus
18. Dynamic Classes or ID's
Elliot Jay Stocks as a useful tutorial on how to apply a dynamic body class or ID to your templates, for styling purposes.
19. Formatting Images for Feed Readers
How to make sure your images are looking good in many of your blog follower's favorite medium: the feed reader.
20. How to Highlight Author Comments in Wordpress
21. Customizing Widgets Using CSS
Widgets are a great way to quickly add information to your layout (namely the sidebar). Here's a tutorial on how to style the widgets using CSS.
22. Using Sliding Doors with Wordpress Navigation
The Sliding Doors technique is a great way to utilize CSS and background images to make tabbed navigation. WPHacks shows us how to utilize Sliding Doors to enhance Wordpress navigation.
23. Wordpress Categories in a Horizontal Drop-down Menu
24. Separate Comments from Trackbacks
It's a good idea to separate trackbacks from your comments.
25. Creating a Widget Ready Footer
There's a trend for blogs to have footers that feature columns of extra information. Learn how to create a widget-ready Wordpress footer.
26. Make a Featured Post Carousel
Many blogs use a featured post carousel to show recent posts or flagship content. Learn how to create this nifty feature with Nettuts+ author James Lao.
27. How to Lay Text Over Images
Add a little flair to your blog and add some text to your flagship images by only using Wordpress custom fields.
28. The Date/Image Hack
Interesting tutorial on how to combine a combination of images, CSS and Wordpress hooks in order to graphically display the date of the published post.
29. Dynamic Sticky Pages
Learn how to dynamically make posts stay on top longer in category and archive listings using multiple loops.
30. Your First WP Plugin
Mark Jaquith has a short-and-sweet screencast on how to create your first Wordpress plugin in under 5 minutes.
31. How to Write a Simple Wordpress Plugin
A step-by-step guide to a simple and fun Wordpress plugin.
32. Screencast on Writing a Wordpress Plugins
If you're rather see a visual demonstration of how to write a Wordpress plugin, look no further than the Weblog Tools Collection screencast.
33. Improving WordPress Security
34. WordPress as a CMS
WordPress isn't just a blogging tool, it can also be a CMS with the help of some plugins and theme retooling.
35. Exporting WordPress Data
Learn how to import and export your Wordpress posts and comments with this handy screencast.
36. Embedding Wordpress into OS Commerce
OS Commerce is a popular open source ecommerce shopping script that many web developers use to sell goods. Here's a tutorial on how to embed a Wordpress blog into an OS Commerce installation.
37. Creating An Automatic Sitemap
Sitemaps help users navigate the site, as well as allow search engines to have quick access to all of your blog's pages. Here's a tutorial on how to create an automatic sitemap for your Wordpress installation.
38. Build a Dynamic Design Portfolio
A terrific guide on how to utilize the query_posts tag to create a design portfolio with Wordpress.
39. Create a User Contributed Link Feed w/ Wordpress Comments
If you're wanting to add a Nettuts+ style link feed, Collis has an excellent tutorial on how to utilize Wordpress comments to create the feed.
40. A Wordpress-Powered Membership Directory
WPDesigner shows us how to create a membership directory using a standard installation of Wordpress and some customization.
41. Remove Categories in the Wordpress Loop
Sometimes excluding certain posts in categories from showing in the Wordpress loop is important. Here's a quick tutorial with sample code on how to exclude certain categories in your templates.
42. Add a Twitter Field to your Form
How to install the twitip-id plugin to include a field for commenters to leave their Twitter ID.
43. Enabling HTTPS for Wordpress.com Blogs Screencast
44. How to Add Photo Captions
Good photo captions aren't that something that Wordpress themes usually come with out of the box. This screencast shows how to correctly add photo captions into your posts.
45. Make a Random Post Button
Adding a random post button is only a SQL query and PHP snippet away.
46. RSS-Only Posts
This tutorial shows you how to create posts that only appear in RSS feeds, in hopes to improve RSS subscriber counts.
47. Wordpress SEO
48. Learn How to Make Your Blog Accessible
Most blogs don't conform to WAI/WCAG standards in terms of accessibility. Learn how to meet these standards with Bruce Lawson's accessibility hacks.
49. Definitive Guide to Semantic Web Markup for Blogs
Although not strictly a Wordpress tutorial, Chris Pearson's guide to semantic web markup for blogs is a must-read for anyone wanting to maximize their results in search engines.
If you found this post useful, please vote for it on Digg. Thanks!
Subscribe below and we’ll send you a weekly email summary of all new Code tutorials. Never miss out on learning about the next big thing.Update me weekly
Envato Tuts+ tutorials are translated into other languages by our community members—you can be involved too!Translate this post