Those of you who have come to know me have probably noticed that I'm a big fan of video training. Personally, I'm a visual learner and can extract much more from an easy to understand screencast as opposed to the written word.
Considering this, I've decided to launch our first ever screencast competition!
What's the Contest?
Between now and 11:59 PM, January 31 (Central Standard Time), anyone may submit a 20-30 minute screencast related to web development. During the first week of February, I, along with several of my peers, will choose the top five submissions.
1st Place Receives:
$200 cash, via Paypal.com
$100 worth of credit at the Envato marketplaces.
1 year's subscription to TUTS+
The screencast will be posted on NETTUTS.com and exposed to 23,000+ subscribers.
4 Runners Up Receive:
$150 cash, via Paypal.com
Screencasts will be posted on NETTUTS.com and exposed to 23,000+ subscribers.
How Do I Enter?
- Prepare a 20-30 minute screencast (including vocals) that covers any area of web development.
- Record at 640x480, or 960x720.
- Save the finished recording as an AVI, or MOV file.
- Email the file (or a link to the file) to [email protected]
What Are My Chances of Winning?
How should I know? :) I can tell you this. Your competition will not be as high as you might think. So go ahead and enter! There are a couple of ways that you can improve your chances of being selected.
- Use a decent mic. We don't expect your sound quality to be 100% perfect. Not everyone has access to a top-of-the-line condenser mic. On the other hand, if your screencast is littered with loud noise, we may not select it. (Some software (like Camtasia Studio) allows you to remove unneeded noise. )
- Choose a proper topic. If you choose a subject that is too specific or requires a piece of rare software, you may not be chosen. Consider the tutorials that we typically post on this site: PHP, jQuery, Design, WordPress, etc.
I Don't Have Any Recording Equipment.
Not a problem. There are plenty of free resources available.
- Camtasia Studio: TechSmith offers a free 30 day trial of this fantastic software.
This is what I personally use when recording the "NETTUTS Screencast of the Week".
- CamStudio: Though I haven't personally used this one, I've heard good things. Better yet, it's 100% free.
- Jing: 100% free, and Mac compatible.
For a microphone - even a cheap $10 mic will do just fine. For those of you who use Skype - your headset might even do the trick! Use your ears and decide for yourself. :)
Terms and Conditions
- Entry is open to all who are NOT Envato employees.
- Any screencast submitted between NOW and 11:59PM January 31, 2009 (Central Standard Time) is eligible.
- Payment to the five winners will be made via Paypal and will be in US dollars.
- The 5 winners will be selected solely at the discretion of NETTUTS.com and its staff.
- All decisions are final.
- For questions and/or concerns, contact the editor at [email protected]
The Contest Begins....Now!
Go ahead and get started! Just be sure to send ([email protected]) the screencast to us by January 31. Good luck!!!